Wednesday, November 12, 2014

A Shocking Read!

A couple of weeks ago, I posted about Sidekick's most recent favorite book (here).  Today, I shall post about a book that completely took me by surprise!  Sidekick got a little Peter Rabbit stuffed animal and book for Easter.  He used to call Peter Rabbit "Hop" until I recently discovered that there is a show On Demand, so now he calls the stuffed animal "Peter Bunny".  I've never read the book to him because I wasn't sure if he would really like it; however, since he has "seen" Peter Rabbit on TV, I thought he might enjoy the book. I remember the premise of The Tale of Peter Rabbit... Peter doesn't listen to his mom, goes to Mr. McGregor's Garden, lost a button from his jacket, and lost his shoes.  What I don't remember is:

 
 
 
While this didn't phase Sidekick because:
  1. He doesn't have a father and therefore that word doesn't mean anything to him
  2. His two year old brain can really comprehend what exactly that mean
Nonetheless, I was a shocked that this was ever written!  I think this book is just going to "go away", never to appear again, and I am going to get a "rewrite" of the book where Peter's father doesn't get killed and eaten.  Wow!  

 

2 comments:

  1. When I was a child, I was a little scared of the wallpaper in my bedroom. We moved out of that house when I was six, and I didn't think about the wallpaper again until I was talking to my mom about decorating ideas for my son's bedroom (when I was pregnant still). I mentioned that I was scared of that wallpaper, and my mom was shocked and informed me that it was Beatrix Potter characters. For some reason I only ever noticed the toad and hermit characters, not the cute bunnies.....maybe this story (I had a book set) had a lasting memory after all! It really is a bizarre plot twist for a children's book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny, Ali! You've been traumatized for life. : )

      Delete