Wednesday, September 30, 2015

The Date

Last week, I did indeed meet up with that guy for lunch.  After a 15 minute delay in the time because of my work, we met at a cool new restaurant that makes amazing chopped salads. He looked just like his picture, but I swear, he was shorter than he said.  We even had a conversation on the phone about his height. I am 5'6" and I was wearing wedges... I think I was taller than him.  He claims he is 5'10", but my wedges were not four inches... were they???

Anyway...

There was that awkward moment upon meeting and then trying to get a conversation going.  I never want anyone around us to think we are on a first date especially when we first meet, but he told one of the workers there right away.  Ugh!  We stared at the menu for a while and talked about what we were going to get. It's a place that makes the salad in front of you while you move down a "line" and you can choose which things you want.  I went first and by the time mine was ready, he was at the end picking out his chicken.  He ordered a specific salad from the menu, but he wanted a different kind of chicken and two different dressings on the side. (High maintenance?) I went to pay, and while I don't expect a man to pay, I was totally surprised that he didn't even attempt to offer to pay when we were standing next to each other.  Whatever.

We sat down and he asked me what I do for a living and vice versa.  Conversation was okay, but I didn't feel any type of spark.  He eventually asked me about what Sidekick's name is and asked to see a picture. He commented on how cute he is which kind of led into the dating scenario with a kid.  I know he loves kids and is probably good with them, but I don't think he wants to share me with Sidekick.  He's 50 years old, so I can't imagine him with a three year old and dealing with me having to hire a babysitter anytime we want to go out.  That's the problem with dating with a kid: babysitters are expensive, and I can't just drop anything at a moment's notice.  (The Sunday before we actually met, he texted me out of the blue and asked me if I wanted to meet him for coffee that afternoon... ummmm... babysitter needed!)  He also mentioned (again) the idea of always having to stay at my house (was he invited?) unless I get a babysitter. 

He emailed me the next day saying he'd like to get together.  I got slammed with two busy days of work that had evening events and then my busy weekend came and went.  I never emailed him back.  I suck, and that's mean.  I know that.  He was a nice guy, but I just don't know if I want to go out with him again.  He's not very funny (important to me) and he referenced Seinfeld many times (I never watched that show and he knows it, so I found it annoying).  I hate thinking that I'm judging him and the potential of a relationship off an almost two hour phone conversation and a 90 minute lunch date.  But... time has come and gone, and it seems silly to email him back now.  Dating sucks. 

I know when the right guy comes along, I'll be willing to pay for that babysitter because I'll want to be with that guy, but I sure don't want to pay for one plus my meal and/or drinks because that's an expensive night to spend with someone I'm not interested in.  Maybe I need to take Sidekick to my mom's for a month and be a serial dater.  Haha.

There's no one else in the hopper right now though, so that's a bummer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment